Instagram

1/15/2016

Wandering and getting lost in Finland



You know those days that you wake up without having any plans, and by the end of it you are surprised where it took you. Today was one of those for me. I woke up and decided that I wanted to see what else this city has to offer. I went on the web and saw that there are 2 observation towers, that look out over the surrounding area. One is taller than the other, and looking them up I was already looking forward to go to the one called pyynikki. I put on some warm clothes, and was smart enough to put on some thermo leggings under my pants. But by the end of the road there was a short hike up into the forest and with my fast pace I was starting to sweat a little. Nothing more nice than feeling hot when it is so cold outside. 


Anyway, the tower was open, and it had a little cafe downstairs. I decided to first go up and if I got cold I could go get some coffee. It was only 2 euros (yay) and decided to take the stairs instead of the elevator (which looked old and I was unsure if I would make it out alive). Although I am sure there will be days when you can look further, the view was amazing. Tampere is situated between two lakes, and currently they are frozen and covered with snow. So gorgeous. 


I spent a little time up there and when getting cold went back down and had a cappuccino. The view from where I was sitting was breathtaking, through the forest you could catch some wintery sun beams. Snow was slowly falling down and every once in a while someone passed by. 




I was kind of curious to see if I could get to the lake because on top of the tower I could see people walk over it. I walked around and took a path and stairs down until I was leveled with the lake. So beautiful yet I couldn't believe that there really was a lake under all the snow and ice. Sweating a little I walked over the lake. The only thing that scared me was that I was alone and if the ice would break no one could rescue me. But I survived, obviously.


After this adventure I thought that it would be time to head back, the sun goes down around 3.30 pm and not knowing the way it would be best to have some daylight. I kind of wandered back, getting lost a couple of times but ended up somehow, somewhere that I knew which way to go. Having no plans and seeing where the day and your legs will take you is so much fun.










You can follow me on instagram for more, just click here Instagram

1 comment:

  1. Oh I would love to visit Finland! All this snow looks so beautiful. When I think of travel, i always envision going places for summer break. But traveling in the winter looks like fun as well!

    xo, mikéla / simplydavelyn.com

    ReplyDelete