Instagram

4/08/2014

Introversion




Introverts VS Extroverts
I won't be the first person to tell you everyone is different, also in our personality traits. Carl Jung, an psychotherapist from Switzerland is the founding father of extra-version and intro-version. The differences between these two personalities can be found easily, but if you are not sure you can take this test. Apparently, it is us, introverts (25%) against the extraverts, 75%. Or is it?

Prejudice
With life comes prejudice. Against race, gender, age, personalities...everything. And also with introverts. I had an workshop in college on personality traits, and all students were divided into the different groups. After this workshop I had felt empty, sad and frustrated. I was put into a box. That box was labeled quiet and anti-social. This was all I was any going to be, an introvert. Nothing more, nothing less. It was a very uncomfortable setting with a guy as a leader that I had never seen before. And for someone to come into a room and label me as an introvert, telling me I don't like to socialize and I should become more extroverted, and then to leave, that really hurt me. And for the past three months, while finishing the semester, I had a sticker on my forehead; ''Watch out, I'm an introvert''. Not really, but that's what I felt like. I kind of had a personality crisis. I don't want to be an introvert, I don't like the person I am. Why can't I just have random conversations with everyone, without ever not knowing what to say. 


But as with everything, introverts also have good sides. This was not really mentioned in the workshop we had, which was hard to accept at that point.  We don't deserve to be labeled this way. And neither do extraverts. I do feel that we live in an extroverted world, no offense to anyone or their feelings. Everything must be fast and loud. I like doing things on my own, but that makes me a loner. You have to understand the difference though. Introverts like to be alone, but not lonely. Just because we don't feel like going to parties or social gatherings all the time, doesn't mean that we don't want some attention. We don't like to feel overwhelmed with noise and visual images, that drains our energy. That's when, at least for me, after I have attended anything I need some time to load my battery again. 



Introverts often see things that others don't. Because we are usually in the background, listening and taking everything in, we have time to observe. And observe absolutely every little detail. I might notice things about you that you don't even know you do. And not in a creepy way. We like to listen rather than speak. If we do need to speak we need some time to think about what we say. We don't like to blurt anything out. But when we do say something, it is not just a lousy comment. It will be something useful and thoughtful. We filter everything that comes into our mind, and speak what needs to be said, and nothing more. And yes, we can actually be leaders. Hello Mr. Obama. And Bill Gates, JK Rowling, Christina Aguilera (!), Lincoln, Einstein and Gandhi. So many inspirational people that have influenced us. It is not always the person with the louder voice that is known that makes it. Actions speak louder than words. 



Maybe you are struggling with finding out who you are. I certainly did. Asking yourself questions like what is wrong with me, why don't I want to hang out with people more? You know, there is nothing wrong with you. You are just a different person. And that's ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment